Job title: Senior Life Development Underwriter (P/T, job-share or F/T)
We are looking for an experienced Underwriter to join our Underwriting Development Team to contribute to the development and management of our life underwriting philosophy, technical standards, controls and practices. The role will be focused on the development and analysis of the MI from our new Life Protection Platform and the ongoing development of our expert underwriting system rules, to enable us to enhance the customer journey and increase point-of-sale decisions within agreed profitability margins.
This role is available part-time, job-share or full time. This is because we want the best people for our roles, and we recognise that sometimes those people aren’t available full-time.
• Demonstrate specialised Life underwriting expertise; particularly in regard to point-of-sale underwriting systems, successfully delivering business solutions/initiatives (e.g. philosophy, process or procedures changes) within agreed parameters (time, quality, costs).
• Ensure the ongoing development, production, appropriate communication of and maintenance of a robust and effective underwriting management information (MI) system.
• Actively contribute ideas and work to develop new or enhanced products, systems, procedures and processes based on technical, customer and distributor insights.
• Provide product level technical underwriting expertise and guidance as needed to distribution, business divisions and operational underwriters in support of Zurich’s business plans.
• With expert knowledge and expertise, provide effective liaison between underwriting, claims, actuarial, proposition management and product development areas.
• Work closely with other members of the Product & Inforce Team and with Protection Operations, Actuarial, Sales, IT and other MI teams within the business as appropriate, to achieve business goals and maximize customer satisfaction.
Your skills and experience:
• A level (or equivalent) Mathematics qualification strongly desirable.
• Experience of writing and running MI reports using SQL Server or other database tools preferable.
• Expertise in analysis of underwriting data, including use of Excel, to increase point-of-sale decisions and improve profitability.
• Experience of recommending, writing and testing expert underwriting system rules.
• High level of underwriting authority for all Protection products including Life, Critical Illness and Income Protection benefits.
• Significant awareness of the overall Protection market and landscape, including awareness of different types of propositions available for UK customers.
• Strong customer focus.
• Ability to work in a team but also self-driven.
• Capacity to cope with varying workloads and pressures.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
As well as a competitive salary we also offer an excellent lifestyle benefits package which includes –
• Company car
• 12% pension
• Annual company bonuses
• 25 days holiday plus an additional 3 volunteering days
• Full private medical cover
• Discounted technology offers
• Discounted gym membership.
• Discounted gadget insurance
• Virtual GP appointments
• Free flu jab
• Discounted will writing service
At Zurich we will consider requests for flexible working on hiring. Many of our employees work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time, flexible hours, job share, an element of working from home or compressed hours. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you may need.
Who we are:
With about 55,000 employees serving customers in more than 170 countries we aspire to become the best global insurer as measured by our shareholders, customers and employees. If you’re interested in working in a dynamic and challenging environment for a company that recognises and rewards your creativity, initiatives and contributions – then Zurich could be just the place for you. The success of our business is built on the contributions of our highly talented employees – people who work every day to position us at the forefront of the insurance industry. We therefore look to hire great people and we encourage those people to give their best.
You’ll feel the support of being part of a strong and stable company. A long-standing player in the insurance industry, we make every effort to address the career development needs and plans of our employees to ensure their success in the future.
At Zurich, we aim to have a diverse mix of employees that reflects our customers and the communities in which we live and work. Zurich is a workplace that values different opinions, respects personal needs, and provides equal opportunities for all, regardless of age, gender, race, religion, disability, marital status, gender identity, pregnancy/maternity status and sexual orientation. Our approach ensures that Zurich is a place that values different opinions, respects personal needs, and provides equal opportunities for all. We are committed to continuous improvement and we offer access to a comprehensive range of training and development opportunities. Zurich is passionate about supporting employees to help others by getting involved in volunteering, charitable and community activity through the Zurich Community Trust.
So make a difference. Be challenged. Be inspired. Be supported, Love what you do. Work for us.