United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority, (UKAEA)
Are you an experienced Control and Instrumentation (C&I) Technician with an HNC in Electrical Engineering or equivalent?
Do you have experience of maintaining or upgrading either vacuum systems or radiological protection instruments?
If so, we have an excellent opportunity for a C&I Technician to work within a small team of engineers and technicians responsible for the safe operation of vacuum systems during operational periods of our Fusion Energy Reactors – The Joint European Torus (JET) and MAST-U. At the UK Atomic Energy Authority, we are turning the process that powers the Sun into carbon-free and abundant electricity for a cleaner planet and you could have a direct influence on the development of a safer electricity for future generations.
Reporting into the Vacuum Control & Instrumentation Section Leader, key responsibilities will include:
– The design, installation and commissioning of new or replacement vacuum systems and equipment
– Maintenance, calibration, troubleshooting and improvement of the existing vacuum systems and associated infrastructure of the JET and MAST-U fusion machines
– Design, assembly, fault diagnosis and repair of the Control & Instrumentation modules utilised on the JET and MAST-U Vacuum Systems
– Proactively improve the reliability & efficiency of the existing vacuum systems by proposing, designing & implementing solutions
At UKAEA we strive to make everyone feel welcome and fully supported. Our Ambassadors are actively promoting and advancing diversity and inclusion in the Organisation to help make our Organisation an employer of choice. UKAEA has a graded career structure and our mentoring scheme will enable you to reach your true potential.
The UKAEA hosts and manages the JET nuclear fusion energy experiment on behalf of the EU and is also home to the UKs MAST-U fusion energy experiment. UKAEA also works with industry and other third parties to develop new technologies currently in Remote Handling and Materials research. Following recent UK funding, two new centres of excellence in tritium fuel handling and component testing and validation are being built. The culture at UKAEA promotes research, innovation and leading edge technological excellence, whilst investing in its people.
For full details on the role, UKAEA and our benefits please download the application pack.
Knowledge, skills and experience
– HNC in Electrical Engineering or equivalent
– Experienced with the use and implementation of Programmable Logic Controllers, plant interlocks and signal conditioning, amplification and processing
– A basic understanding and experience of either vacuum systems and vacuum technology OR radiological protection instruments (RPI)
– Experience of working in environments subject to radiological control
– A significant proportion of the Vacuum Group plant is located in operational areas that cannot be accessed during machine operation, therefore fault-finding and remedial work must be planned at short notice and often outside working hours
– You may be required to participate in an on-call roster
Selection Methods and Notes:
– As part of the selection process you may be expected to complete work based simulation exercises and a personality profile either online or onsite
– Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received
– Please note, UKAEA do not pay travel expenses for interviews
– The UK Atomic Energy Authority actively promotes equality and values diversity in our workforce. We operate a number of flexible working arrangements (such as part-time working/job share/home working). Flexible working may be available with this role
– Please note, all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance – The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions
Stamford, Lincolnshire Space Nk Space NK was founded in 1993, what began as a single location in London's bustling Covent Garden shopping...Apply For This Job
Folkestone, Kent McGinley Support Services (Infrastructure) Ltd Are you an experienced industrial machinery engineer/technician looking for a change of scene or an...Apply For This Job
Slamannan, Stirlingshire Adecco We are hiring at the DEH1 warehouse in Bathgate! Don't worry if you do not drive subsized transport is...Apply For This Job
Oban, Argyllshire myjobscotland Department: Development and Infrastructure Services Closing Date: Wednesday 16th September 2020 Driver/Pupil Escort required to deliver daily school transport...Apply For This Job
Project People Security Cleared* Oracle Fusion Cloud Techno-Functional Consultant is urgently required by our Global IT Services Company for an initial...Apply For This Job
Tadley, Hampshire Priory Education We are seeking a dynamic and experienced Registered Manager to lead and manage our five bedroom children's home...Apply For This Job